1. a shape resembling a segment of a ring tapering to points at the ends.
2. something, as a roll or cookie, having this shape.
a. the figure of the moon in its first or last quarter, resembling a segment of a ring tapering to points at the ends.
b. the similar figure of Mercury and Venus on either side of inferior conjunction, when seen through a telescope.
4. the emblem of Turkey or of Islam.
5. the power, religion, or civilization of Turkey or of Islam.
6. a musical percussion instrument of Turkish origin, consisting of a pole bearing a crescent-shaped metal plate, topped with a pavilion, and hung with small bells. Also called Chinese crescent, Chinese pavilion, jingling Johnny, pavillon Chinois, Turkish crescent.
7. Chiefly British.
a. a curved street, often having solid façades of unified architectural design.
b. the curve or curved portion of a street.
8. Heraldry. a representation of a crescent moon, horns upward unless otherwise specified, used as the cadency mark of a second son.
9. shaped like a crescent.
On a bitter night,
A moth ate the paper moon:
One morsel at first
- Thus it became a crescent -
Then the rest and darkness won.
Moth courtesy of Dreamstocktheory at DeviantArt.
24th March 2023
21 hours ago
Post a Comment