1. a light with a transparent or translucent protective case
2. a structure on top of a dome or roof having openings or windows to admit light or air
3. the upper part of a lighthouse that houses the light
4. photography . short for magic lantern
5. a short shape poem from Japan describing a specific one syllable noun, such as a feeling, a thing, or an abstract idea. The lantern poem takes the form of a hanging lantern, going from short to wider as the poem goes on, and then becoming short again in the final line. The purpose of the lantern poem is to illuminate the subject and re-imagine or personalize it for the reader, not just to simply define it. Also spelled lanturne or lanterne.
In the dark