1. an apparatus for striking a bell so as to produce a musical sound, as one at the front door of a house by which visitors announce their presence.
2. Often, chimes.
a. a set of bells or of slabs of metal, stone, wood, etc., producing musical tones when struck.
b. a musical instrument consisting of such a set, esp. a glockenspiel.
c. the musical tones thus produced.
3. harmonious sound in general; music; melody.
4. harmonious relation; accord.
–verb (used without object)
5. to sound harmoniously or in chimes, as a set of bells.
6. to produce a musical sound by striking a bell, gong, etc.; ring chimes.
7. to speak in cadence or singsong.
8. to harmonize; agree.
–verb (used with object)
9. to give forth (music, sound, etc.), as a bell or bells.
10.to strike (a bell, set of bells, etc.) so as to produce musical sound.
11.to put, bring, indicate, announce, etc., by chiming.
12.to utter or repeat in cadence or singsong
Her laughter chimed a strange melody in his heart,
A vibration that would hew cracks of light in dark matter
Singing softly to lure him in.