1. a short piece remaining after something has been cut, removed, etc.
2. the residual piece or section of a receipt, ticket, cheque, etc.
3. (US and Canadian) . the part of a cheque, postal order, receipt, etc., detached and retained as a record of the transaction.
4. any short projection or blunted end
5. the stump of a tree or plant
6. to strike (one's toe, foot, etc.) painfully against a hard surface
7. (usually followed by “out”) . to extinguish (a cigarette or cigar) by pressing the end against a surface
8. to clear (land) of stubs9. to dig up (the roots) of (a tree or bush)
She considers leaving her stub on the pavement
Thinks again: she might clean the store front