1. a cloth or sheet in which a corpse is wrapped for burial.
2. something that covers or conceals like a garment.
3. Nautical. any of a number of taut ropes or wires converging from both sides on the head of a lower or upper mast of the outer end of a bowsprit to steady it against lateral sway: a part of the standing rigging.
4. Also called shroud line. Aeronautics. any of a number of suspension cords of a parachute attaching the load to the canopy.
5. Also called shrouding. Machinery.
a.(on non-metallic gear) an extended metal rim enclosing the ends of the teeth on either side.
b.(on a water wheel) one of two rings of boards or plates enclosing the buckets at their ends.
6. Rocketry. a cone-shaped shield that protects the payload of a launch vehicle.
1a. archaic : to cover for protection
b.obsolete : conceal
2a. to cut off from view : obscure
b.to veil under another appearance
3. to dress for burial
archaic : to seek shelter
What matter of dragons,
Of creatures from the deep
Or simply what nightmares
Are shrouded from my conscience
By simple memory lapses?
23rd June 2018
14 hours ago