1. a cloth or sheet in which a corpse is wrapped for burial.
2. something that covers or conceals like a garment.
3. Nautical. any of a number of taut ropes or wires converging from both sides on the head of a lower or upper mast of the outer end of a bowsprit to steady it against lateral sway: a part of the standing rigging.
4. Also called shroud line. Aeronautics. any of a number of suspension cords of a parachute attaching the load to the canopy.
5. Also called shrouding. Machinery.
a.(on non-metallic gear) an extended metal rim enclosing the ends of the teeth on either side.
b.(on a water wheel) one of two rings of boards or plates enclosing the buckets at their ends.
6. Rocketry. a cone-shaped shield that protects the payload of a launch vehicle.
1a. archaic : to cover for protection
b.obsolete : conceal
2a. to cut off from view : obscure
b.to veil under another appearance
3. to dress for burial
archaic : to seek shelter
What matter of dragons,
Of creatures from the deep
Or simply what nightmares
Are shrouded from my conscience
By simple memory lapses?
haiku 23rd September 2017
18 hours ago