1. sharply caustic or sarcastic, as wit or a speaker; biting.
2. burning; corrosive.
3. having the property of fixing colours, as in dyeing.
4. a substance used in dyeing to fix the colouring matter, esp. a metallic compound, as an oxide or hydroxide, that combines with the organic dye and forms an insoluble coloured compound or lake in the fibre.
5. an adhesive substance for binding gold or silver leaf to a surface.
6. an acid or other corrosive substance used in etching to eat out the lines, areas, etc.
7. Music. A melodic embellishment consisting of a rapid alternation of a principal tone with the tone a half or a whole step below it, called single or short when the auxiliary tone occurs once and double or long when this occurs twice or more. Also spelled “mordent”.
–verb (used with object)
8. to impregnate or treat with a mordant.
In the puddles
Where our tears have gone dry
Salts and crystals aglow around us
Sharp and mordant like new found love.
Photo du Jour - Sun Setting On The Seine
23 hours ago