1. any of a group of colours, such as that of a ripe tomato or fresh blood, that lie at one end of the visible spectrum, next to orange, and are perceived by the eye when light in the approximate wavelength range 740–620 nanometres falls on the retina. Red is the complementary colour of cyan and forms a set of primary colours with cyan and yellow
2. a pigment or dye of or producing these colours
3. red cloth or clothing
4. a red ball in snooker, billiards, etc.
5. (in roulette and other gambling games) one of two colours on which players may place even bets, the other being black
6. Also called: inner (archery) a red ring on a target, between the blue and the gold, scoring seven points
7. of the colour red
8. reddish in colour or having parts or marks that are reddish
9. having the face temporarily suffused with blood, being a sign of anger, shame, etc.
10. (of the complexion) rosy; florid
11. (of the eyes) bloodshot
12. (of the hands) stained with blood, as after committing murder
13. bloody or violent
14. (of wine) made from black grapes and coloured by their skins
15. denoting the highest degree of urgency in an emergency; used by the police and the army and informally
16. (US) relating to, supporting, or representing the Republican Party