1. a slender, typically rod-shaped rigid piece of metal, usually in any of numerous standard lengths from a fraction of an inch to several inches and having one end pointed and the other enlarged and flattened, for hammering into or through wood, other building materials, etc., as used in building, in fastening, or in holding separate pieces together.
2. a thin, horny plate, consisting of modified epidermis, growing on the upper side of the end of a finger or toe.
3. a former measure of length for cloth, equal to 21/4 in. (6.4 cm).
–verb (used with object)
4. to fasten with a nail or nails.
5. to enclose or confine (something) by nailing (often fol. by up).
6. to make fast or keep firmly in one place or position.
7. to accomplish perfectly.
a. to secure by prompt action; catch or seize.
b. to catch (a person) in some difficulty, lie, etc.
c. to detect and expose (a lie, scandal, etc.).
9. Slang. to hit (a person).
10. to focus intently on an object or subject.
11. Obsolete. to stud with or as if with nails.
On every wall for anchorage
Stopping very short of adding
My beating heart as exhibit.
Our love continued on its course
Downwards, downwards, still,
A slow death of lead poisoning.
All that cold metal
The background picture is copyright of Willow of Willow Manor, who has put it forth as a writing prompt.
Join the writing fun at Magpie Tales.
Photo du Jour - Sun Setting On The Seine
22 hours ago