1. a long seat for several persons.
2. a seat occupied by an official, especially a judge.
3. such a seat as a symbol of the office and dignity of an individual judge or the judiciary.
4. the office or dignity of various other officials, or the officials themselves.
a. the seat on which the players of a team sit during a game while not playing.
b. The quality and number of the players of a team who are usually used as substitutes.
6. Informal.: Benchpress - A lift in weightlifting that is executed from a horizontal position on a bench, in which the weight is lifted from the chest to arm's length and then lowered back to the chest.
7. Also called workbench - the strong worktable of a carpenter or other mechanic.
8. a platform on which animals are placed for exhibition, especially at a dog show.
9. a contest or exhibition of dogs; dog show.
10.Physical Geography. a shelflike area of rock with steep slopes above and below.
11.Mining. a step or working elevation in a mine.
12.Also called berm - any level strip of ground at the summit or sides, or along the base, of a slope. .
–verb (used with object)
13.to furnish with benches.
14.to seat on a bench or on the bench.
15.to place (a show dog or other animal) in exhibition.
16.to cut away the working faces of (a mine or quarry) in benches.
17.Sports. to remove from a game or keep from participating in a game
You and I
Reading on a bench
Apart yet together
20 hours ago