Friday 12 June 2009

Cinder

CINDER

–noun
1. a partially or mostly burned piece of coal, wood, etc.
2. cinders,
a. any residue of combustion; ashes.
b. Geology. coarse scoriae erupted by volcanoes.
3. a live, flameless coal; ember.
4. Metallurgy.
a. the more or less completely fused and vitrified matter separated during the reduction of a metal from its ore. (also: slag)
b. a mixture of ashes and slag.
–verb (used with object)
5. to spread cinders on.
6. Archaic. to reduce to cinders.
–verb (used without object)
7. to spread cinders on a surface, as a road or sidewalk



I shall burn your shadow
So you won't haunt my dreams any more
Watching it flare up
And twist,
And hiss,
Cinders and sparkles flying off
Smoke sickly sweet
On my tongue.
Liquorice.
Its ashes I shall rub on my forehead
As a warning to all ghosts:
Here's one that walks alone.
Now
And ever.

2 comments:

martha said...

Brava!!! I really like that.

Dina said...

Wo, very convincing.