1. something beneath, behind, or within which a person, animal, or thing is protected from storms, missiles, adverse conditions, etc.; refuge.
2. the protection or refuge afforded by such a thing.
3. protection from blame, incrimination, etc.
4. a dwelling place or home considered as a refuge from the elements.
5. a building serving as a temporary refuge or residence for homeless persons, abandoned animals, etc.
6. Finance. tax shelter.
–verb (used with object)
7. to be a shelter for; afford shelter to.
8. to provide with a shelter; place under cover.
9. to protect, as by shelter; take under one's protection.
10.Finance. to invest (money) in a tax shelter.
–verb (used without object)
11.to take shelter; find a refuge.
12.Finance. to invest money in a tax shelter.
Grasping for shelter
A little sun bestowed gold.