1. a low, continuous sound, as of a brook, the wind, or trees, or of low, indistinct voices.
2. a mumbled or private expression of discontent.
3. Also called heart murmur. Medicine/Medical.
a. an abnormal sound heard on listening to the heart, usually through a stethoscope, produced by the blood passing through deformed cardiac valves.
b. in some persons a similar sound heard when blood passes through normal valves.
4. Phonetics. a voice quality in which vibration of the vocal cords is accompanied by the escape of a great deal of air, as in the (h) of ahead; breathy voice.
-verb (used without object)
5. to make a low or indistinct sound, especially continuously.
6. to speak in a low tone or indistinctly.
7. to complain in a low tone or in private.
-verb (used with object)
8. to sound by murmurs.
9. to utter in a low tone
To the ear
16th July 2018
3 hours ago