–verb (used with object)
1. to make hard; harden, as rock, tissue, etc.:.
2. to make callous, stubborn, or unfeeling.
3. to inure; accustom.
4. to make enduring; confirm; establish.
–verb (used without object)
5. to become hard; harden.
6. to become established or confirmed.
7. hardened; unfeeling; callous; inured.
Creviced hands and lips
Harsh, splinter-prone, words.
Where has the transient gentleness gone
In all these rock hard certitudes?
Gone to seed
Tall and stringy,
What has become of the tender bud
In this obstinate garden infestation?
9 hours ago