–verb (used with object)
1. to make hard; harden, as rock, tissue, etc.:.
2. to make callous, stubborn, or unfeeling.
3. to inure; accustom.
4. to make enduring; confirm; establish.
–verb (used without object)
5. to become hard; harden.
6. to become established or confirmed.
7. hardened; unfeeling; callous; inured.
Creviced hands and lips
Harsh, splinter-prone, words.
Where has the transient gentleness gone
In all these rock hard certitudes?
Gone to seed
Tall and stringy,
What has become of the tender bud
In this obstinate garden infestation?
haiku 18th October 2017
43 minutes ago