-verb (used with object)
1. to put or place in a horizontal position or position of rest; set down.
2. to knock or beat down, as from an erect position; strike or throw to the ground.
3. to put or place in a particular position.
4. to cause to be in a particular state or condition.
5. to set, place, or apply (often followed by to or on ).
6. to dispose or place in proper position or in an orderly fashion.
7. to place on, along, or under a surface.
8. to establish as a basis; set up.
9. to present or submit for notice or consideration.
10.to present, bring forward, or make, as a claim or charge.
11.to impute, attribute, or ascribe.
13.to bring forth and deposit (an egg or eggs).
14.to impose as a burden, duty, penalty, or the like.
15.to place dinner service on (a table); set.
16.to place on or over a surface, as paint; cover or spread with something else.
17.to devise or arrange, as a plan.
18.to deposit as a wager; bet.
19.to set (a trap).
20.to place, set, or locate.
21.to smooth down or make even.
22.to cause to subside.
23.Slang: Vulgar . to have sexual intercourse with.
24.to bring (a stick, lash, etc.) down, as on a person, in inflicting punishment.
25.to form by twisting strands together, as a rope.
26.Nautical . to move or turn (a sailing vessel) into a certain position or direction.
27.to aim a cannon in a specified direction at a specified elevation.
28.to put (dogs) on a scent.
-verb (used without object)
29.to lay eggs.
30.to wager or bet.
31.to apply oneself vigorously.
32.to deal or aim blows vigorously (usually followed by “on”, “at”, “about”, etc.).
33.South Midland U.S. to plan or scheme (often followed by” out”).
34.Midland and Southern U.S. (of the wind) to diminish; subside.
35. Nautical . to take up a specified position, direction, etc.
36.the way or position in which a thing is laid or lies.
37.Slang: Vulgar .
a. a partner in sexual intercourse.
b. an instance of sexual intercourse.
38.Ropemaking . the quality of a fibre rope characterized by the degree of twist, the angles formed by the strands, and the fibres in the strands.
39.Also called lay-up, spread. (in the garment industry) multiple layers of fabric upon which a pattern or guide is placed for production-line cutting.
40. also: batten . (in a loom) the swinging frame for holding and positioning the reed.
41.a share of the profits or the catch of a whaling or fishing voyage, distributed to officers and crew.
simple past tense of lie.
1. belonging to, pertaining to, or performed by the people or laity, as distinguished from the clergy.