Friday 25 June 2010

Crumb

CRUMB

–noun
1. a small particle of bread, cake, etc., that has broken off.
2. a small particle or portion of anything; fragment; bit.
3. the soft inner portion of a bread ( distinguished from crust).
4. crumbs, a cake topping made of sugar, flour, butter, and spice, usually crumbled on top of the raw batter and baked with the cake.
5. Slang . a contemptibly objectionable or worthless person.
–verb (used with object)
6. Cookery . to dress or prepare with crumbs.
7. to break into crumbs or small fragments.
8. to remove crumbs from




I have learnt
To scrub my memory
For crumbs of our story
Shaking them loose
To be lost to the drafts of times


The background picture is copyright of Willow of Willow Manor, who has put it forth as a writing prompt.
Join the writing fun at Magpie Tales.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely, the thought of scrubbing ones memory for their life story...well done...bkm

Rinkly Rimes said...

Don't brush away too many memories! You'll need them in years to come. Liked the concept.

Anonymous said...

unique magpie..loved the way these words draw my eyes to the scars left beneath the brush..

Stafford Ray said...

Yes, lovely poem and the old style writing gave it extra age-old value.

Robert Lloyd said...

Scrubbing memories for crumbs of our stories...I liked the concept...its very real. Great magpie.

Helen said...

Beautiful Magpie ... both the words and the image.

The Crusty Crone said...

I like it! Those of us with some experience under our belts can relate to scrubbing those memories away.

Carrie Van Horn said...

Love your use of words here. Outstanding Magpie!!

Stan Ski said...

However sad or painful a memory, I wouldn't want to erase it.

Suz said...

Wonderful use of the magpie
loved the writing over the photo
But I guess I'm with Stan
I wouldn't want to erase anything

Tess Kincaid said...

"...scrub my memory for crumbs of our story"

Lovely and tinged with such sadness.

Linda said...

Nice poem and view of the prompt. Mostly I treasure the crumbs of my life. There are some things I don't remember so clearly and that makes me sad. It's a mixed bag of emotions.

Brian Miller said...

oh but i like to knock them out of the brush to examine them just once more before discarding...tight magpie!

Anonymous said...

Dear Nathalie: A most excellent bit o' poetry! Succinct and complete. A neat package. Memory scrubbers! That might work! Thanks! Jane Jones logb

Tumblewords: said...

Great idea! Perfectly fitting words...

steviewren said...

Love the imagery of this Magpie. Well done!

PattiKen said...

This is a terrific take on the prompt. There are some crumbs that you just hate to have stuck in your memory. I guess he was one of them.

transparentnow? said...

I absolutely loved this piece and the thoughts it provoked.

Anonymous said...

Wow, really beautiful. Each sentence was perfect and needed, I cant imagine this poem any shorter or any longer. Well done, great magpie!