1. appearance, especially the look or expression of the face
2. the face; visage.
3. calm facial expression; composure.
4. approval or favour; encouragement; moral support.
5. Obsolete . bearing; behaviour.
–verb (used with object)
6. to permit or tolerate
7. to approve, support, or encourage.
Her countenance said it all
She’d seen angels
Or goodness knows it what this time
Her folks could not countenance such
And had her locked in a room
Where she could see all her friends
And hold her virtual tea parties
Without being an embarrassment.
The background picture is copyright of Willow of Willow Manor, who has put it forth as a writing prompt.
Join the writing fun at Magpie Tales.
20th March 2018
12 hours ago