1. any of various relatively long pieces of metal, wood, stone, etc., manufactured or shaped esp. for use as rigid members or parts of structures or machines.
2. Building Trades. a horizontal bearing member, as a joist or lintel.
3. Engineering. a rigid member or structure supported at each end, subject to bending stresses from a direction perpendicular to its length.
a. a horizontal structural member, usually transverse, for supporting the decks and flats of a vessel.
b. the extreme width of a vessel.
c. the shank of an anchor.
5. Aeronautics. the direction perpendicular to the plane of symmetry of an aircraft and outward from the side.
6. the widest part.
7. Slang. the measure across both hips or buttocks.
a. walking beam. - an overhead oscillating lever, pivoted at the middle, for transmitting force from a vertical connecting rod below one end to a vertical connecting rod, pump rod, etc., below the other end.
b. (in a loom) a roller or cylinder on which the warp is wound before weaving.
c. a similar cylinder on which cloth is wound as it is woven.
9. the crossbar of a balance, from the ends of which the scales or pans are suspended. 10.a ray of light.
11.a group of nearly parallel rays.
12.Radio, Aeronautics. a signal transmitted along a narrow course, used to guide pilots through darkness, bad weather, etc.
13.Electronics. a narrow stream of electrons, as that emitted from the electron gun of a cathode ray tube.
14.the angle at which a microphone or loudspeaker functions best.
15.the cone-shaped range of effective use of a microphone or loudspeaker.
16. beam antenna - radio slang. an antenna that transmits its radiation in a particular direction.
17.a gleam; suggestion.
18.a radiant smile.
19.the principal stem of the antler of a deer.
–verb (used with object)
20.to emit in or as in beams or rays.
21.Radio. to transmit (a signal) in a particular direction.
22.Radio and Television. to direct (a program, commercial message, etc.) to a predetermined audience.
–verb (used without object)
23.to emit beams, as of light.
24.to smile radiantly or happily.
To day, yet Earth beams.
For a week you can read my story "Another End" at Metazen
short forms 23rd March 2017
21 hours ago