1. the non-volatile products and residue formed when matter is burnt
2. any of certain compounds formed by burning.
3. fine particles of lava thrown out by an erupting volcano
4. a light silvery grey colour, often with a brownish tinge
1. any oleaceous tree of the genus Fraxinus, especially F. excelsior of Europe and Asia, having compound leaves, clusters of small greenish flowers, and winged seeds
2. the close-grained durable wood of any of these trees, used for tool handles, etc.
3. any of several trees resembling the ash, such as the mountain ash
4. (Australian) . any of several Australian trees resembling the ash, especially of the eucalyptus genus
the digraph æ, as in Old English, representing a front vowel approximately like that of the a in Modern English hat.
I just remembered this:
In the eyes of women, in their tears,
All the gods of the world were changed
Into jars of storms, mountains of ashes,
Confined to the land of the shadowy,
And cold green-eyed oblivion;
Possession took control and freed us all
-Yet it didn’t change a thing.