- verb (used with object)
1. to erect or set up (a tent, camp, or the like).
2. to put, set, or plant in a fixed or definite place or position.
3. to throw, fling, hurl, or toss.
4. Baseball (a,b,c). Cricket (d). Golf (e)
a. to deliver or serve (the ball) to the batter.
b. to fill the position of pitcher in (a game).
c. to choose or assign as a pitcher for a game.
d. to bowl (a ball) so that it bounces on a certain part of the wicket, or (of a ball) to bounce on a certain part of the wicket
e. to hit (a ball) steeply into the air, especially with backspin to minimize roll
5. to set at a certain point, degree, level, etc..
6. Music . to set at a particular pitch, or determine the key or keynote of (a melody).
7. Cards .
a. to lead (a card of a particular suit), thereby fixing that suit as trump.
b. to determine (the trump) in this manner.
8. to pave or revet with small stones.
9. Masonry .
a. to square (a stone), cutting the arises true with a chisel.
b. to cut with a chisel.
10. Informal . to attempt to sell or win approval for; promote; advertise: to pitch breakfast foods at a sales convention.
11. Informal . to approach or court (as a person, company, or the public) in hope of a sale, approval, or interest; make an appeal to.
12. to cause to pitch.
13. Obsolete . to set in order; to arrange, as a field of battle.
14. Obsolete . to fix firmly as in the ground; embed.
- verb (used without object)
15. to plunge or fall forward or headlong.
16. to lurch.
17. to throw or toss.
18. Baseball .
a. to deliver or serve the ball to the batter.
b. to fill the position of pitcher.
19 to slope downward; dip.
20. to plunge with alternate fall and rise of bow and stern, as a ship ( opposed to roll).
21. (of a rocket or guided missile) to deviate from a stable flight attitude by oscillations of the longitudinal axis in a vertical plane about the centre of gravity.
22. to fix a tent or temporary habitation; encamp.
23. Golf . to play a pitch shot.
24. Informal . to attempt to sell or win approval for something or someone by advertising, promotion, etc.
25. Rare . to become established; settle down.
26. relative point, position, or degree.
27. the degree of inclination or slope; angle.
28. the highest point or greatest height.
29. (in music, speech, etc.) the degree of height or depth of a tone or of sound, depending upon the relative rapidity of the vibrations by which it is produced.
30. Music . the particular tonal standard with which given tones may be compared in respect to their relative level.
31. Acoustics . the apparent predominant frequency sounded by an acoustical source.
32. act or manner of pitching.
33. a throw or toss.
34. Baseball . the serving of the ball to the batter by the pitcher, usually preceded by a windup or stretch.
35. a pitching movement or forward plunge, as of a ship.
36. upward or downward inclination or slope: a road descending at a steep pitch.
37. a sloping part or place: to build on the pitch of a hill.
38. a quantity of something pitched or placed somewhere.
39. Cricket . the central part of the field; the area between the wickets.
40. Informal .
a. a high-pressure sales talk.
b. a specific plan of action; angle.
41. the specific location in which a person or object is placed or stationed; allotted or assigned place.
42. Chiefly British . the established location, often a street corner, of a beggar, street peddler, newspaper vendor, etc.
43. Aeronautics .
a. the nosing of an airplane or spacecraft up or down about a transverse axis.
b. the distance that a given propeller would advance in one revolution.
44. (of a rocket or guided missile)
a. the motion due to pitching.
b. the extent of the rotation of the longitudinal axis involved in pitching.
45. Also called plunge. Geology . the inclination of a linear feature, as the axis of a fold or an oreshoot, from the horizontal.
46. Machinery .
a. the distance between the corresponding surfaces of two adjacent gear teeth measured either along the pitch circle (circular pitch) or between perpendiculars to the root surfaces (normal pitch).
b. the ratio of the number of teeth in a gear or splined shaft to the pitch circle diameter, expressed in inches.
c. the distance between any two adjacent things in a series, as screw threads, rivets, etc.
47. (in carpet weaving) the weft-wise number of warp ends, usually determined in relation to 27 inches (68.6 cm).
48. Cards .
a. all fours . a game for two or three players or two partnerships in which a 52-card pack is used, the object being to win special scoring values for the highest trump, the lowest trump, the jack, the ace, the ten, and the face cards.
b. auction pitch . a variety of all fours in which players bid to determine the trump or pitch.
49. Masonry . a true or even surface on a stone.
50. (of typewriter type) a unit of measurement indicating the number of characters to a horizontal inch.
1. any of various dark, tenacious, and viscous substances for caulking and paving, consisting of the residue of the distillation of coal tar or wood tar.
2. any of certain bitumen, as asphalt.
3. any of various resins.
4. the sap or crude turpentine that exudes from the bark of pines.
-verb (used with object)